Author Topic: To all Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox Users  (Read 9608 times)

Offline tiemenn

Re: To all Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox Users
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 02:09:07 pm »
I don't know what it is, I already updated and yes I am windows 7 user but I do have Internet Explorer. so what's the .. problem?

Offline Palmolive

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 02:13:17 pm »
seems like IE is the only answer for now :)
Opera is the second answer  ;D - http://www.opera.com/  ;)

Offline Aguila

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 03:12:30 am »
I don't know if this helps because the problem is not explained in detail but I had trouble launching the game using Firefox until I started running it as administrator

Offline [Moderator] Deception

• Global Moderator
  • Blessed are the meek
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 03:17:48 am »
Hi there!

Yes Aguila, as you've said, that step sometimes works and that is usually overlooked by others. :)

Offline StephTheGadget

• I didn't do it deliberately.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 06:33:27 am »
I don't know if this helps because the problem is not explained in detail but I had trouble launching the game using Firefox until I started running it as administrator

THERE, you've hit on one of the main reasons why using a web launcher is such bad practice.

The web is a risky place to visit, that's why Browser developers go to such lengths to isolate the browsing session from the OS.
Browsers aren't really meant to have access to the OS on which they are running.
That's also why the OS puts measures in place to try and prevent malicious code from running.

The weakest link in security is always the stupid things that users do/don't do. This kind of thing only encourages such behaviour.

I'm not saying that the Mythos web launcher is a risk in itsself, but having to routinely run your browser with elevated priviledges is.

He that cannot reason is a fool.
He that will not is a bigot.
He that dare not is a slave.

Offline Aguila

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 03:54:30 am »

THERE, you've hit on one of the main reasons why using a web launcher is such bad practice.

The web is a risky place to visit, that's why Browser developers go to such lengths to isolate the browsing session from the OS.
Browsers aren't really meant to have access to the OS on which they are running.
That's also why the OS puts measures in place to try and prevent malicious code from running.

The weakest link in security is always the stupid things that users do/don't do. This kind of thing only encourages such behaviour.

I'm not saying that the Mythos web launcher is a risk in itsself, but having to routinely run your browser with elevated priviledges is.

Please elaborate on your statements I would like to know more. If there was such a big problem in this why would the option to allow the program to run with administrator privileges even exist?

Wouldn't the OS do everything in its power to keep the user from taking such a harmful action?? Not saying that the OS has a mind of its own but according to you it puts measures in place which apparently are easily overcome. Why are browsers not allowed to have access to the OS they are running on I really want to know.

Maybe I would feel that my computer was at risk if I had no antivirus and internet security software installed or maybe I'm wrong I don't know. Please enlighten me.

Furthermore, what is this talk about routinely running the browser with elevated privileges? All I do when I run as administrator is log onto the site and launch the game. Nothing else is going on with the browser so unless Mythos Global is out to get me, which I find hard to even consider, then I should have no problem right?

Offline StephTheGadget

• I didn't do it deliberately.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 06:45:10 am »
Ok, take UAC [at least on Vista/Weven]

This is designed to limit apps to standard user privileges, unless an admin authorises the provileges to be elevated.

In this way under normal operation, the OS will prompt you if an app [that included a browser], tries to do anything is shouldn't
[run executable code, access the registry, access other running applications etc.]

So on a domestic client pc, the OS provides this, but also provides the user with the ability to override, it's there choice.
[If the OS just simply stopped things, imagine the complaints, the OS doesn't really know the difference between malicious and not, so it simply hands the choice to the user, assuming said user has sufficient privileges to run as admin etc.]

Now we all know that not all web sites are nice, and some will try to run malicious code etc.

So, when you run your browser as administrator, it gets a slightly freer reign on what it can do, meaning a page could try to run something without you knowing it. Yes, anti-malware, virus checkers, and the browsers themselves have things in place to detect and prevent.

All that I'm saying is that having to run your browser as admin removes a layer, leaving you more vulnerable than you would otherwise have been.

Not everyone would run the browser as admin just in order to run Mythos, thay may use that same browser session to trawl the internet.

I've had to deal with the fallout of people that havn't taken appropriate precautions, it's not pretty.

He that cannot reason is a fool.
He that will not is a bigot.
He that dare not is a slave.

Offline Aguila

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 07:11:37 am »
You make some valid points there, but rest assured that I am not one of those careless users. Either way someone will learn something after reading this thread which is the only thing that matters.

Offline Bunnz

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 10:30:40 pm »
Hmmm, guess most ppl don't like website launch, but in the end you don't have a choice if you want to play the game  :( . I play Archlord (no advertisment, don't ban me :) ) and Mythos, both korean hosted games, both website launched, so i use IE for both - and FF for browsing...

Offline eric5key

• Locksmith Miami Beach
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 04:00:31 am »
Great website and I also really adore all its posts. I am going to definitely be book-marking these pages and discussing this once more in the future and one more thing Where on the web can an accredited psychiatrist submit posts (or forums) to allow them to gain popularity?