Author Topic: Theorycrafting. DMG  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Decibelriot

Theorycrafting. DMG
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:27:23 am »
I do really much theorycrafting when i can and where i can :D, so far i got struck by 1 thing and started calculating.. It was AttackDamage.
I'm not sure if it's displayed correctly in the Character screen tooltip which formula is (Weapon Base)*(%Dmg+100%) + (BonusDmg + Elemtal Damage)*((%Dmg + 100)*2)  So far i couldn't figure out why the bonus damage is taken twice and i noticed that my damage output towards stonehill monsters  never showed up as huge as it's in tooltip [Basic attacks]
So i tried calculating the whole dmg in simply way (Weapon Base + Bonus + Elemental) * % .. Pretty simply. And it was accurate.
Ill write down the numbers so you can see for yourself:

Weapon Base damage 322
Ranged Damage Bonus: 458%
Bonus DMG: 20
Elemental 1: 30
Elemental 2: 5
Elemental 3: 10
Elemental 4: 17

Tooltip dmg calculations: 322*5.58 + (20 + 30 + 5 + 10 + 17)*(5.58*2)  = 1796,76 + 915,12 = 2711,88   {And this is how it's shown on tooltip}    [I took 5.58 because its 458% + 100% ... It's a bonus % Damage therefore in order to find a total % damage you must add the base 100%]

Damage calculation without doubling Bonus+Elemental: (322+82) * 5.58  = 2254,32

My tests: I tested with basic attacks for about 10 minutes versus targets that have no defense or resistance: @Stonehill
      *I never pulled more than 2239 dmg
      *I never did more than 3124 crit.

So guys if you want to see your true dmg - Sum everything together and multiply by (%dmg + 100%)
It seems that there is an error in calculations that takes the Bonus and Elemental numbers TWICE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BONUS:  For you guys to understand how crit works in order to stop "It's not working madness"
   * First thing first: It doesn't multiply with your total damage.  So you won't get 8000 Crit with 300% crit damage when you normally do 2000 damage.
   * It's calculated just as total damage... Basically it acts as same as %Damage, so you can say "When crit triggers you recieve bonus %Ranged damage or %Melee Damage

Numbers: Note that i will take numbers that i calculated as true damage "(322+82) * 5.58"
           *My critical damage bonus is 123% {Oh the irony, but it's actually is 123 :D}
           *The tip on loading screen says that you deal double the normal damage which is correct but most of you misunderstand it: When you crit you actually get bonus 100% Damage [Melee or Ranged] which is double when you don't have any %Bonus damage. ^.^
            *(322+82) * (5.58+2.23) = 3155.24 is the maximum true damage i can crit with 123% crit damage. {And in my tests i did 3124} :CloseEnough:

P.S Some of you might get dissapointed because i didn't calculate spell damage. I didn't because it's impossible.
We don't have accurate readings of base dmg tooltip and the multiplier which it scales from. [Spell% Dmg doesn't work therefore i am not really sure how it's calculated] .. Unless the only thing that doesn't work is %Spell Damage from gear and therefore +Wisdom triggers the base %Spell damage.    -- So i apologise if i didn't calculated spell damage --
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:33:53 am by Decibelriot »

Offline [Moderator] Illumi

• Administrator
  • HeavenSworD
Re: Theorycrafting. DMG
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:15:16 am »

Thanks for this nice info decibelriot  :) I'll make it sticky  :)

HeavenSworD

Offline Decibelriot

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:36 am »
Thank you :o
But i guess devs need to look on damage tooltip [Why does it show wrong numbers and why does it double up bonus damage along with elemental, while the true damage seems to take a single calculation of Bonus and elemental damage :3].

Offline Troll

• I'm not a TROLL
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:31:46 am »
question...

[I took 5.58 because its 458% + 100% ... It's a bonus % Damage therefore in order to find a total % damage you must add the base 100%]

why 5.58? so you mean the 100% of 458 is 100? or its the default?
and what about the resistance and the hp of the monster o player? its has reduction also, im so lost makes me crazy wtf...
Not a TROLL Not a TROLL Not a TROLL

SIMSIMI SIMSIMI SIMSIMI SIMSIMI SIMSIMI

Offline StephTheGadget

• I didn't do it deliberately.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:51:25 am »
So i tried calculating the whole dmg in simply way (Weapon Base + Bonus + Elemental) * % .. Pretty simply. And it was accurate.

My tests: I tested with basic attacks for about 10 minutes versus targets that have no defense or resistance: @Stonehill

um, I think he's trying to dempnstrate the basic damage that's possible, that's why you use low lvl mobs as they won't have resistances.

Uses 5.58 because with no RDB you get 1, then the RDB [4.58] stacks on top == 5.58

He that cannot reason is a fool.
He that will not is a bigot.
He that dare not is a slave.

Offline Decibelriot

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:09:57 am »
UPDATE: This is pretty confusing but i found out that Bonus and Elemental damage doesn't bug at all. I don't know what really is causing this but i am betting on "Smelts". I made some tests with the dmg and seemed like it was very accurate with low dmg Rifle i had. When i swapped to my main gun again.. It flipped out badly, numbers didn't make any sense :D .. Later on i tried adding bonuses from achievments to see how the changes take place. I noticed that there was nothing wrong there. They multiplied using the %Ranged dmg bonus i had. 

So i assumed that there are pretty weird %$#@ going on with the gear itself. I mean like... There been alot of reports that %Spell damage is not acting right. And i've seen some weird changes when applying just hat with base damage that got multiplied far beyond the % Damage. :D
So weird....

Offline CounterExile

• IGN: Kuruma
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »
Given that your formula is correct, how would you apply elemental damage bonuses against elemental resistances? im very very curious about that. :/
I mean, how do you compute for it?

and

How do you apply that calculation/formula to skills?
Raindrops keep fallin' on my head,

they keep fallin'

trolololol