Author Topic: Any tips for building a Gadgeteer?  (Read 8895 times)

Offline Reiko

• Not a Troll. Really.
    • DevART Gallery
Any tips for building a Gadgeteer?
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:12:39 am »
All I heard was that the traditional ranged gadgeteer uses the Marksman tree almost exclusively. Read that it was moderately effective.

I'm curious about the Grenadier tree and the Summon thingy tree. Are those Wis builds?

Oh yeah, I heard Marksman types only use Rifles. What's the use of Pistols, Crossbows, Bows then?  :-\

Offline clive

Re: Any tips for building a Gadgeteer?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:41:34 am »
I guess the only ones who could answer that are those who have played in the EU version. But I'm sure once CBT starts, we will have a better idea of the good builds for each class. No need to hurry with it. CBT is near anyway. :p

Offline Reiko

• Not a Troll. Really.
    • DevART Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:15:17 am »
Yeah, CBT is in three days anyway. :P

Maaaybe I'll just try it out. CBT characters get deleted anyway, so why not experiment and stuff, right? ;D

Offline [Moderator] Scotland

• Global Moderator
  • No Lifer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:46:05 pm »
the easy and OP option for gadget is pure wisdom with no dex or hp stats spent, you equip wisdom gears with wands as wisdom = dmg.

Nox grenade (wis = dmg)
bauble (distracts enemy while you nade)
Flames Trap (small line of fire wis = dmg)
Mute bomb (silence then enemy from using attacks)
latch bomb (wis = dmg small area, not really that good since nerf)
Any thing else is pure preference but these skills alone along with all attributes in wisdom will own all bosses np.

As for the Rifle skills ive yet to create a dex based gadget have not much experience there but i know steph on these forums is an exelent marksman maybe she give some pointers.
One thing to add tho wisdom gadget is very very boring to play just chucking a grenade and bauble about gets annoying, but at end game its well worth it a wisdom gadget is always welcome in any relic party.

Offline StephTheGadget

• I didn't do it deliberately.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:33:32 pm »
Now, I'm not taking any credit for this build, many aspects borrowed from other [better] dex gadgets, but here goes.

Marksman Tree

Rapid Refire [whole tree]- a must for any marksman build, will own almost all bosses until you hit the few that don't stun

Piercing Barrage [whole tree]- [many will say you don't need both, I beg to differ], another must and your mob clearing friend.

Black powder, Tinker/Crit mods - must have support skills [further away you are from what you are shooting at the better]

Rally - useful later on for boosting AR and DR, Insight [additional bonuses appear to work, extra crits not so sure]

Grenadier Tree

Bauble Trap - 1st 2 tiers, [though I find that 1 point will do until higher levels]

Body of Steel - a skill to take later on, helps with survivability [but your best defense is still not to get hit]

Tinker Tree

Galvanic Widgets - boost your damage  :), best taken later on again

Stats - Dex, Dex, Dex [and some more Dex]

Gear

Anything that boosts dps - ranged speed, ranged damage, all the +elementals, crits etc.
Life and Mana [+stats and regen]
Run Speed
and ofc +DEX

General

Concentrate on maxing RR and PB [and support skills] as these are the key to surviving [IMO]

Final Notes

Moderately effective? - depends on what U want to do, I've got to my level and haven't had to party to complete anything [yet - see below]

I've soloed everything up to [and including some] relics, at lvl 57, I have found a couple of bosses I can't down alone, but I think that is more related to ability than lack of power in the marksman build. Can't comment on PvP as in the words of Meat Loaf 'I won't do that'

Crossbows/Bows and Pistols - afik, no-one uses them  :P

I've built a wiz based gadget also and agree with Scotty, gets pretty boring chucking things and kiting, but then standing with LMB down with a stunlocked boss and periodically popping a mana pot can be too :P

[BTW, thanks for the plug Scotty, I think you have been overly generous]

He that cannot reason is a fool.
He that will not is a bigot.
He that dare not is a slave.

• Global Moderator
  • No Lifer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:56:03 pm »
 lol overly generous look at that guide its pimp you went to town on that nice work =) im taking notes

Offline Reiko

• Not a Troll. Really.
    • DevART Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 12:18:59 am »
Tinker build uses Dex? Won't you need INT for summoning all those widgets? Also, is there an attacking-type widget that can do the same thing as the wisps or bloodlings?

Offline 1hr

• All in good time.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 05:05:30 am »
From the sounds of the different skills for each class I think I'll enjoy the gadgeteer the most. I think I will main it unless/until they release more classes or builds if that ever happens.

Offline StephTheGadget

• I didn't do it deliberately.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 03:06:33 pm »
Tinker build uses Dex? Won't you need INT for summoning all those widgets? Also, is there an attacking-type widget that can do the same thing as the wisps or bloodlings?

Gadeteer can go Dex [Marksman] or Wis [Tinker/Nades]

tbh, I wouldn't go near a pure tinker build as the widgets are far too weak in late game [even if U max them with skillgems]
algegedly, this was a viable and fun build in Mythos 2008, but got nerfed to hell :(

He that cannot reason is a fool.
He that will not is a bigot.
He that dare not is a slave.

Offline Wushy

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 03:47:40 pm »
If it's like Europe respeccing was no problem, so as for skills, you'd want Rapid Refire (RR) pretty early in game, it basically makes any boss piece of cake until 40+ (then you might want to chug some pots), Piercing Barrage (PB) is also a God send for mutilating the amount of trash that you will get bored of.
As for the rest, use it to support you're PB and RR, and healing tinkers are nice to have.

Stats mainly in Dex, might throw a bit into Vit to get a decent base health if you're struggling (but decent gear should suffice).

Bows/Crossbows, as mentioned earlier, were completely useless in Europe version, there wasn't even skills for them.
And the pistol just sucks.

Wushy

Offline Raziel

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:46:35 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QBRZzl9C6Kw
Did i saw that correctly 1.13
gadgeteers have tesla widgets like old beta

Offline 1hr

• All in good time.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:56 pm »
Yeah, I think I will go pure wisdom grenadier. Sounds very interesting.

• Global Moderator
  • No Lifer
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 06:22:12 pm »
grenaders cant go wrong especially on this tier tree patch its basically no hybriding other than preference to choosing skills on othrer Trees over Max tier Tree for the wisdom bonus.

Offline Reiko

• Not a Troll. Really.
    • DevART Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 05:19:00 am »
I'll probably try out the Tinker build soon. Right now I'm doing Cinderblade.

What's the level cap by the way?

• Global Moderator
  • No Lifer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 11:24:17 am »
it will no doubt be 60.